A picture is worth 1000 clicks: the power of visual content

A Picture is Worth 1000 Clicks: The Power of Visual Content

Did you just publish a blog post without creating an amazing image to go with it? If you answered yes, you could be missing out on a ton of readers and social shares.

Think about your own online experiences:

  • are you more drawn to Facebook posts that have an image?
  • do you find it easier to read long blog posts that are broken up by graphics?
  • are you active on Pinterest?
  • have you ever used google image search instead of web search?

You probably answered “yes” to at least one of these questions.

We’ve all heard the saying “A picture is worth 1000 words.” But I like to say “A great online graphic is worth 1000 clicks.” While not as catchy as the original saying, it’s just as true.

 

The following infographic explains why you should:

Think twice before publishing a blog post without a great graphic {infographic} Click To Tweet

 

A Picture is Worth 1000 Clicks

Did you know:

  • 60% of people think visually
  • 93% of all communication is visual
  • 50% of the brain is dedicated to visual function
  • the brain processes visual information 60,000x faster than it can decode text
  • the average person only remembers 30% of what they read

What does this mean for you?

Let’s imagine that you have written new content for your website. And now you are ready to publish and promote it. You are now faced with two choices:

  1. Add a great graphic and get:
    1. 37% more engagement and
    2. 94% more views
  2. Or publish it without a graphic.

When shared on Facebook:

The post with the graphic receives 87% of all interactions. That means more likes, comments, and shares than the post without the graphic

When Shared on Twitter:

The post with the graphic gets:

  • 18% more clicks
  • 87% more favorites
  • 150% more retweets

than the post without the graphic.

When shared on Pinterest:

Only the post with the image can be shared on Pinterest. And when it comes to generating traffic Pinterest is better than Google Plus, LinkedIn and YouTube combined.

Pinterest is the fastest growing website and currently boasts 70 million users and 30 billion pins. But despite those numbers the potential to go viral on Pinterest is huge. Because Pinterest is made up of only 20% original pins and the other 80% are repins.

Your Visual Toolbox Should Contain:

  • charts and graphs
  • photos and illustrations
  • infographics
  • typography
  • color
  • symbols and icons

Sources:

A picture is worth 1000 clicks: the power of visual content

Pin for Later


You may also like

5 comments

  • sue September 29, 2015   Reply →

    What a wonderful post and I love the infographic. You are right that images do make a difference, I struggle with producing something like you have though. Thank you for sharing your advice with us at #WednesdaysWisdom and hope to see you at the next link up!

    • Dana September 29, 2015   Reply →

      Thanks so much for the comment Sue. The link up was fun, and I discovered a few new blogs to read.

  • Leanne@crestingthehill September 30, 2015   Reply →

    I agree completely that visuals are so important for blogging. I’m not sure how to go from there to something huge, but I’m also not sure that I’d want to – I just enjoy finding something that adds another layer to what I’m saying – great post!

    • Dana September 30, 2015   Reply →

      Thanks for the comment, Leanne. I agree with you, a great visual should add to your posts. I see so many blogs that don’t have any images at all, but yours looks great.

  • Priyank February 21, 2017   Reply →

    Images really can create an impact in a blog! I just loved the way you explained why they stand out! Thanks a lot. One can also take a look at Digital Marketing Course Jaipur

Leave a comment